Montreal mall shuts down over ‘stealing’ of merchandise
Posted On July 29, 2021
Quebec’s biggest mall is shutting down over an alleged “stealing” of merchandise.
The Louis Vuitton department store in the city of St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, north of Montreal, has shut down after police were called on Sunday.
The mall, which opened in March, has already received complaints from customers who claim they were not given their merchandise before they were supposed to.
“It’s very disappointing,” said Dominique Végétron, a shop manager at the Louis Vuon department store.
“They stole merchandise from us and we didn’t even know about it.
We just want the products back.”
The mall had been selling about $1 million worth of goods, said Louis Vuion’s head of merchandising, Paul Pignatier.
He says the items were not stolen.
“We’re very sorry, and we’ll make a proper apology for this,” Pignarier said.
The Montreal police department said it was investigating the matter.
“As soon as the store closed, a police officer contacted the company to confirm that there had been an incident,” said spokesman Gilles Vaillancourt.
“This company was not involved in any manner.”
The Louis Vitton store was the latest in a string of department stores in Canada to shut down.
Earlier this month, the Toronto Eaton Centre also shut down its doors amid a similar investigation.