AUSTRALIA, AUSTRIA, NEW ZEALAND, SOUTH AUSTralIA, SOUTHERN IRELAND, TASMANIA, VIC, WA, WALES and some regional markets have all been closed for at least two weeks due to a series of power cuts and other issues.
A spokeswoman for the Australian Retailers Association said the state’s power cut was the worst of any in the nation, with more than a quarter of the country’s retailers reporting blackouts.
“We are in shock,” she said.
“Our customers and employees are out of work, we have lost millions of dollars and we are still in the dark about what is happening to the electricity supply in the country.”
GONE: Australian retailer Murphy’s department stores are the worst in the world at losing customers every day due to power cuts.
The retailer has lost customers for the past five days, with power outages affecting more than 50 per cent of its stores.
Its customers are stuck in shops for two weeks because of power issues and many are still struggling to find work.
There is a shortage of power, with the Australian Energy Market Operator saying the blackouts are expected to continue until the end of July.
On Friday, a spokesman for Victoria’s energy regulator said it had received numerous reports of blackouts affecting more store customers.
Power was restored to about 80 per cent across Victoria on Saturday.
Victoria’s Power Networks chief executive David Grewal said it was “very frustrating” the blackout had affected more than 80 per cen- tral stores and that the state was still recovering from last month’s blackout.
It was also causing delays for power lines.
He said that if the state were to have a blackout again, power lines would need to be rebuilt to be operational.
Vic’s chief executive, Michael Woodhouse, said power outage problems at some of the state s biggest stores were affecting about 90 per cent and that Victoria was in “tremendous trouble” at this stage.
Mr Woodhouse said that it was a “very serious situation” and he expected the state to be “at the edge of the abyss”.
“We don’t know what’s going to happen in the next week,” he said.
“We can’t imagine what’s in store for the rest of the month.”
The Victorian Labor government has pledged to keep Victoria in electricity through to June 1, but a spokeswoman for Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews said the government was still trying to reach an agreement on the black outs and had not yet reached a final decision.
Gone: Brisbane’s Victoria’s Power Network said it could not predict the extent of power outAGES affecting Victoria’s major retailers.
Energy Minister David Littleproud said it would be “a very hard week” to plan for and manage power outales.
His department had not been able to determine whether Victoria would be in a blackout or not for the entire summer.
Littleproud had said on Friday that the Victorian Government would be spending $1.6 billion on new infrastructure and infrastructure improvements over the summer.
“The best way to get our economy going again is to invest in our energy infrastructure,” he told ABC Radio Melbourne.
Queensland has also been hit hard by blackouts, with many retailers reporting power out-ages affecting almost 100 per cent.
Bureau of Meteorology chief economist Peter Thomas said that although the Queensland Government has already spent $400 million to replace blackouts and upgrade power networks, the issue of blackout will be a bigger issue in the coming months.
We will be back to normal tomorrow,” he wrote on Twitter.
South Australia has been hit with blackouts for weeks as well, with its largest retailer, Southern Cross, reporting black outs affecting more customers.
South Australian Premier Jay Weatherill said the situation was “beyond comprehension”.
We are currently working with the Power Networks, the Energy Authority and the state of South Australia to assess the situation.
This is a very serious situation and we will do everything possible to get Queensland back on track.
SA Premier Jay Muir said that the State Government has been in contact with the Queensland Power Networks and the South Australian Government about the situation, but the power outAGEs are causing a delay to the SA Government’s plans to spend $1 billion on infrastructure upgrades.
Despite the outages, SA’s chief operating officer Mark Crampton said the power supply had been restored to 100 per cena- tion.
Crampton told reporters the SA Power Networks were “very disappointed” by the black-outs, but he said the SA government would be working with power retailers in the state and across South Australia.
Wind farms, which supply power to more than 90 per cennation, have also been knocked out for the summer